Wisconsin State Capitol
Madison is the second site of the Wisconsin State Capitol. The first was in Belmont Wisconsin. Belmont was the capitol of the Wisconsin Territory. The first Capitol building was a unheated wood frame prefabricated building. In that building the first Legislators choose Madison as the site of the second and so far permanent Wisconsin State Capitol.
The first Madison Capitol building, second Wisconsin Capitol building was built in 1837 out of stone cut from Maple Bluff and local oak at a cost of $60,000.